Effective from September 2020
Approved by: Board of Directors
At a Glance
Board attendance is vital for the effective operations of the Board and governance of the organisation. Each member of the Board has a key responsibility to attend meetings and provide notification of any inability to do so.
All members of the Five Good Friends Board.
The purpose of this policy and procedure is to ensure the regular attendance of Board members at meetings and provide a process for monitoring and addressing any failures to attend Board meetings, with the exception of unforeseeable events.
- We will use all reasonable efforts to:
- encourage members of the Board to regularly attend Board meetings
- ensure that any minimum number of Board meetings required by our Constitution/Rules is achieved
- monitor attendance to maintain continuity and cohesion in our governance, and
- effectively and appropriately address failures in attendance at Board meetings.
- All Board members are expected to demonstrate their commitment to the organisation and their position on the Board by:
- attending and participating at all Board meetings
- reading, constructively commenting on and contributing to working papers and proposals for decision by the Board, prior to any decision being made, and
- working cooperatively with other Board members at Board meetings.
- The CEO or Secretary must notify Board members of all meetings in accordance with the requirements of the Constitution.
- A notice of meeting should be in writing and:
- state the date, time and place of meeting
- indicate the nature of the business (including an agenda for the meeting if possible)
- be clear and well set out (giving fair and reasonable information so that Board members will understand what is actually proposed to be done at the meeting and the level of discussion and input required), and
- be sent to all those entitled to receive it.
- Where a meeting is arranged to be held via telephone, video link or online, the CEO or Secretary should notify the Board members accordingly and provide details (if required) on how such technology can be utilised by the Board member. Participation in meetings via technology will be equivalent to attendance at the meeting as if the Board member attended in person.
- After receiving notification of a proposed meeting, a Board member should notify the Chairperson, CEO or Secretary if they are unable to attend.
- The Chairperson must pass on any apologies at the meeting for all Board members who have provided notification of their absence.