Effective from December 2021
Approved by: Chief Executive Officer
At a glance
This policy explains the entitlement of employees at Five Good Friends to take parental leave from work.
The policy provisions are a guide for employees regarding standard parental leave entitlements.
To provide clear processes to support parental leave for all Five Good Friends employees.
- Partner - an employee’s spouse or de facto partner, or former spouse or de facto partner. An employee’s de facto partner means another person (whether of the same or different sex as the employee) with whom the employee lives in a relationship as a couple on a genuine domestic basis.
- Part 2-2 Division 5 of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) governs the entitlement.
- Parental leave provisions apply to all full-time, part-time and eligible casual employees with at least 12 months regular, systematic and continuous service and with a reasonable expectation of ongoing employment on the same basis.
- If eligible, an employee may take parental leave associated with:
- the birth of their child,
- their birth of their partner’s child,
- the placement of a child under adoption if the employee has a responsibility for the care of that child,
- premature birth that requires immediate hospitalisation,
- stillbirth, or
- infant death within the first 24 months of life.
- In the case of adoption-related leave, the child being adopted must be aged under 16 years on the day of placement and must not have lived continuously with the employee for 6 months or more prior to the date of placement.
Unpaid parental leave